Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Is This Healthy?

I share a three bedroom house at Yonge & Eglinton with two other roommates and at this exact moment we are all in our own rooms on our own computers listening to our own music. Although I haven't actually spoken to them in person in over an hour, we've MSN'd, e-mailed, text messaged, posted on each-other's facebooks and come to the conclusion that Wyclef, Portishead, and Beethoven don't really make for a cool mashup.

Now tell me, is this healthy? Because it is a regular occurrence in our household. In fact, I often have to remind myself that my roommate's name isn't actually fungrrl1979. Here's a typical Saturday morning at my home:

*Wake up to text message*
Lesley: Are you up?
Jason: I am now
Lesley: Hungry?
Jason: yep
Lesley: McDonald's?
Jason: ok
Lesley: Meet downstairs in 5 mins
Jason: cool

Sure, there is something to be said about making plans without having to leave your bed but have things gone too far? Like most people my age, I have a number of friends that I haven't actually met in person yet but we do share similar tastes in music and of course we're going to finally get together for coffee soon...

I've yet to figure out what ramifications the "Internet age" will have on our society but I do know that it is becoming easier and easier to avoid human contact. I guess this post is just a reminder to myself not to hide behind the mouse and keyboard and get out there in the "real world" once in a while. Tomorrow, I urge you to hug a friend, make lunch plans with one of your LinkedIn contacts, write a letter to your best friend from high-school or finally take that boy/girl from Lavalife out for dinner. Let's all have a human experience tomorrow.